It’s a Monday, not anyone’s favourite day of the week by any stretch of the imagination but it can be made so much better by having a speedy supper to look forward to. When Jamie Oliver released his then new cookbook Veg I remember the hype around his puff pastry pizza. I was determined to give this a try just because of how easy it looked.
Store bought shortcuts like readymade puff pastry and prepared roasting vegetables makes this even easier and quicker to rustle together.
Let’s get cooking…
Start off by chopping the veg into roughly 1cm sized pieces, you can use any veg that your family likes. My favourites for dishes like these are mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers and red onions. Or if you are using ready prepared vegetables then skip straight to this step… Lay out the veg in a single layer on a baking sheet, use 2 trays if you need to because you don’t want to overcrowd the pan. Sprinkle liberally with olive oil, salt, pepper and some dried herbs and toss everything together to get all the veg coated in the seasoning. Throw on the garlic cloves but keep them in their skins to prevent burning.
Roast for 30 minutes then sprinkle over shredded or torn up fresh mozzarella. Place the puff pastry sheet over the vegetables and tuck the sides into the tray. Return tray to the oven and bake until golden.
Once it is done, remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes then turn out onto to a board so that the vegetables are on top. Dollop over a little pesto and serve immediately!
Jamie Oliver roast veg inspired pizza
Speedy, delicious cheats pizza
• 1 red onion, quartered
• 2 courgette/ zucchini, thinly sliced
• 2 bell peppers, I used red and yellow
• 2 tblsp pesto
• 1 tsp dried thyme
• 1 sheet of store bought puff pastry
• 1 cup of shredded mozzarella
• Olive oil
- Toss vegetables with olive oil, salt, pepper and dried thyme, lay out in a single layer on a baking sheet and throw in the garlic with skins still on, roast for 30 minutes at 180
- Sprinkle on mozzarella and tuck in puff pastry sheet over the vegetables and return to the oven for a further 30 minutes until pastry is golden
- Once cooked, remove from oven, place a board over the tray and flip over. It should now look like a rectangular pizza
- Dollop over pesto and serve