My very favourite take out meal is a box of Nando’s spicy chicken strips and rice. Now since we’ve all been put under lockdown and restaurants have had to close I have been missing the convenience of the occasional take out meal. I’m not a huge fan of takeout but the attraction for me is not having to bustle about the kitchen for long periods of time.
Recently while trying to clean out my heaving fridge, I realised that I had some leftover rice and chicken. I instantly thought of the Nando’s meal and my lunch blues were sorted.
This meal is super easy to put together if you have leftovers but can also be freshly prepared with very little effort.
Let’s get cooking…
Fry some onion and pepper in a little oil until starting to brown and soften. Stir the saffron into the rice and set aside. Add the chicken into the pan with onions and peppers and stir until it’s warmed through and coated in all the flavourings. Add the Nando’s sauce to coat everything then add the rice. Once everything is warm, serve and enjoy.
Nando's style spicy strips and rice
• Leftover cooked rice
• 250g Leftover cooked chicken, roughly 1 breast fillet
• 2 tblsp Nando’s sauce
• ½ onion, diced
• 1 red bell pepper, diced
• 1 tsp peri-peri seasoning
• Pinch of ground saffron or turmeric
- Fry onion and pepper in some oil with the spices until soft.
- Stir the saffron into the rice
- Add chicken into the pan with onions and peppers and stir until it’s warmed through
- Add the Nando’s sauce to coat everything then the rice
- Once everything is warm, serve and enjoy.