One of my husband’s absolute favourite meals is a good chicken burger. Since moving to London, one of the best burgers he has had is a southern fried style chicken burger from Borough market. However, the enforement of stay at home orders due to the Coronavirus has meant that we have not been able to eat out for a long time.
So I set about creating my own version of this burger. After a few tries I have finally created something that comes very close to the original burger.
Let’s get cooking…
Combine the ingredients for the yoghurt marinade and allow the chicken to marinade overnight for best results or minimum 1 hour. When you are ready to start cooking, mix together all of the ingredients for the flour dredge and toss each chicken fillets into the flour mixture. Ensure that flour coats the chicken thoroughly. Shallow fry until golden, 5-6 minutes per side.
This is best served with a chipotle mayo, lettuce, crisp onions on a toasted brioche roll.
Southern fried chicken burger
Yoghurt marinade: • 4 chicken thigh fillets, flattened
• 2 tblsp yoghurt and a splash of milk
• 1 tsp Salt
• ½ tsp Pepper
• ½ tsp cumin
• 1 tsp ginger and garlic paste
• 1 tsp harissa
• 1 tsp peri peri spice
• ½ cup flour
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp salt
• ½ tsp pepper
• 1 tsp peri-peri spice
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp thyme
- Combine the above ingredients and allow to rest overnight in the fridge.
- Combine seasonings with the flour
- Once you’re ready to cook, dredge the chicken into the flour mixture
- Shallow fry for 5-6 minutes per side until golden
- Serve with chipotle mayo, lettuce and crisp onions on brioche buns