Growing up I absolutely loved watching the Food network, and one of my favourite shows was the Rachael Ray show! She was so bubbly and fun and best of all, she was self taught! This was the first time that I actually saw a “normal” person run a very successful cooking show without having formal culinary training, needless to say my mind was blown!! This colouring outside the lines deal was a direct pathway to finding my own creativity and broadening my interests.
I first heard about this amazing tomato based pasta sauce with vodka on said show and scoffed a little at the idea that a little vodka could transform an already amazing sauce. Little did I know and it took me almost 20 years to try it out for myself (why, why, why???).
Fast forward approximately 20 years and I am converted. This unbelievable simple sauce has become mu all time favourite and I am here to share it with you. This isn’t the exact RR receipe but rather one that I have tweaked a little but I imagine it still tastes as good as hers would.
Let’s get cooking…
Start by sautéing the onion in olive oil until translucent and soft, about 10 minutes, then add garlic and stir around until fragrant.
Add in the pureed tomatoes, vodka and season with salt and pepper. Simmer until the sauce reduces a little and thickens. Remove from the heat, add the cream and stir to combine.
Mix through freshly boiled pasta, penne being my favourite. I served mine with a grilled chicken breast on the side to bump up the protein.
Penne ala vodka
• ½ large/ 1 small onion, thinly sliced
• 1 tin of whole plum tomatoes, pureed
• ¾ cup vodka
• ½ cup cream
• 3 cloves garlic, sliced
• 2 tblsp Olive oil
- Saute onion in olive oil until translucent and soft, about 10 minutes, then add garlic and stir around until fragrant
- Add in the pureed tomatoes, vodka and season with salt and pepper
- Simmer until the sauce reduces a little and thickens
- Remove from the heat, add the cream and stir to combine.
- Mix through freshly boiled pasta